Senior Slide: Class of 2017

Cedric Callie, Staff Writer

There comes a time in every high schooler’s life when they think back on all they have done, all they’ve accomplished. Tears may be shed thinking about the last three and a half years of pain, joy, and general confusion; they have reached the point of no-return, formally known as The Senior Slide.
“Senioritis,” the decline in motivation or performance of final-year students, even appears in the Oxford Dictionary. For those of you that don’t understand why it happens or what it even means, pay attention: Once a student is accepted into college or has decided what post-high school life has in store for them, their motivation for their current coursework drops to a near extinction. Even hearing the word “homework” will often trigger various unbridled emotions among seniors. Although the transition is not greeted with an actual slide, one can imagine.
Sometimes, said ‘slider’ gets carried away, and their grades drop just a bit too far. Often, seniors that receive Ds and Fs in either semester can have their acceptance rescinded from a university, according to the NACAC, National Association for College Admission Counseling. Other factors can also provoke admission revocation, such as illegal actions, cheating, or drug abuse. So try not to get involved in this (if you want to go to college).
For us seniors, we owe it to ourselves to sit back, relax, and enjoy the last time in life where schoolwork and our personal lives are carefree, ideally. A senior at Minnetonka, Joey Cutts, offers some advice, “This is it. We won’t have this little homework again for 8 years! Embrace it while it’s here!” Although many of us will be choosing different paths after high school, the question remains: How will you make the most out of your Senior Year?