Over the line?

Charlie Cowan, Sports Staff Writer

This article is from the November issue of Breezes. Pick up a copy and start reading today!

The Minnetonka student section is an essential part of the atmosphere at our school’s sporting events. It helps get the team fired up during the game and is a great way to have fun with friends. Even though school administration may argue that our conduct can sometimes border on rowdiness, the rules currently governing behavior are too strict and take away from the enjoyment of the game.

The student section is supposed to be fun, right? We’re just teenagers. This is the time in our lives when we are supposed to be adventurous, rebellious, and sometimes silly. So what if we inflate a beach ball and toss it around? Or what if someone dances shirtless at halftime to the applause of the student section? Big deal! He shouldn’t be escorted out of the stands or criticized. This is just part of the teenage experience. There are so many worse things that could be going on instead, right? Here at Minnetonka, where perfect grades and exceptional behavior are expected at all times, we need moments like these to allow a bit of release and a chance to live normal teenage lives. Let us live a little!

A  lively student section is essential to the success of any team. The fans want to be with their friends and fire up the players so the team will win. Isabelle Aragon-Menzel, a volleyball captain, says that the student section is a huge factor in the team’s performance. She explains that the student section is always “full of energy and they’re so passionate about each point… It means a lot to my teammates to have their unending support.” The excitement of our student section is one of our greatest assets; if we want to win home games, leave our student section as it is.

As much as we students might dislike the rules, it’s important to understand what they are. As Activities Director Ted Schultz explains, “If  students are able to represent us well and show respect with their actions, behavior, and cheers, [then] there is very little intervention. This is the ideal situation. Have fun, be positive, and support our teams.” Schultz also conveys that “our school district has expectations for student behaviors at games to ensure a safe, respectful, and bully-free environment. This is an extension of the school day.  Simply put, rules represent boundaries, which are present in all areas of society.”

Rules exist in society. Without guidelines, our world would be in total anarchy, but high school sporting events are a key part of the teenage experience. Having fun, joking around, and bending the rules is part of being a teenager. The school administration’s rules are so strict that we can’t fully express support for our school teams. We are not only missing out on an opportunity to assist our team, but also a chance to enjoy our childhood.