Sport of Norse: Details on Popular Winter Sport of Nordic Ski

2015 Nordic Team photo.

2015 Nordic Team photo.

Seth Johnson, Staff Writer

Skiers gather near south entrance and prepare for practice at Hyland.

Nordic, or cross-country skiing, is thought to have been developed over 4500 years ago in the Scandinavian regions of Europe. The tradition continues here at our school. The Minnetonka High School Nordic ski team, or TNR for short, began their season at the end of October.
There are two main forms used today: skate and classic. Skate technique involves pushing off to the side with each leg to propel oneself forward, similar to ice skating, hence the name.
Classic technique involves moving one’s skis forward through a track, and using sticky kick wax applied on the bottom of the ski under the toe of the skier to push off. Skating is a relatively new technique, only adapted to official competition in the late 1900s, and is faster in most cases. The Nordic skiing team at Minnetonka High School races with both techniques.
With the development of roller skis, skiers don’t even need snow to practice. Roller skis are similar to roller skates and involve the same form as skate skiing. There are also classic roller skis, with a ratchet by the back wheel to emulate the friction provided by kick wax. Several members of the TNR team have trained using roller skis this past summer and will continue to use them until there is enough snow for normal skis.
A main aspect of TNR is hard work; the sport is very physically demanding, as you need to to possess both strength and endurance to move quickly up hills and keep up a fast pace.
Besides competition, the team also prides itself on a culture of fun and acceptance. Nordic skiing is one of only a few co-ed sports at MHS, with boys and girls training together, and all levels of skiers are accepted. TNR also takes a trip during winter break to Maplelag Resort in Northern Minnesota to focus on training and team bonding.
“One of my favorite aspects of Nordic is the family atmosphere,” said senior captain Evan Green.
With the coming of winter, it can be hard to find the motivation and methods to stay fit. So, consider taking up Nordic skiing for a fun and effective way to stay healthy this winter. The high school Nordic team is very active and open to having new members at practice. They meet every day after school by the South Entrance. Grab your winter gear and join in on the fun.