English Classes at MHS

Anna Barnard, Staff Writer

Many students look at English class as a place defined by a routine of reading books, writing analyses, and having discussions. However, MHS has a wide variety of English courses as well for those who want to try something new. Some of these classes focus specifically on creative writing, while others incorporate elements of it into the coursework. Many of these courses also include reading different works and forms of creative writing. One class offered here that focuses specifically on creative writing is Fiction and Poetry Workshop. In this class, students write a wide range of creative pieces in addition to reading and responding to some as well. Another class, Journalism, helps students learn about journalism and media and works on writing everyday news and stories in addition to doing some research and reading.

There are also AP and IB classes that have elements of creative writing. AP Language and Composition (for seniors) includes writing many different types of essays, and examining a variety of works such as speeches and images. IB Language and Literature SL and IB Literature HL are both offered for juniors and seniors and take a new approach to studying English. IB Language and Literature focuses deeply on language and its meaning and how this fits into different pieces of writing and culture. IB Literature goes deep into interpreting texts and also puts emphasis on students identifying their own individual and independent responses and voices. Another IB class, IB Literature and Performance SL (offered for seniors), works with not only language and different pieces of writing but also aspects of theater. Students get to perform in front of their classmates while also reading and interpreting texts. If you’re interested in testing your imagination and creativity in writing, make sure to consider MHS’s creative writing options when registering for classes for next year!