Common Sense

Common Sense

Isabella Bennett, Student Life Staff Writer

This article is from the November issue of Breezes. Pick up a copy and start reading today!

Here are some easy ways to stay healthy this school year:

Sleep: Getting a good night’s sleep helps your body take some time to regenerate itself. Sleep also helps the body focus on fighting disease while not having to worry about its other functions. It’s hard to cram sleep into the busy schedule of high schoolers, but it’s still very important to try and get at least six hours. Without sleep, you have a higher risk for chronic diseases, premature aging, and many other nasty things.

Nutrition: It’s common knowledge that eating right is a good way to maintain your health. “Put good in, get good out” applies in all situations; if you only eat things that are not favorable to your body, your body will not be favorable to you. Essentially, eating right helps your insides become more robust. Fortifying your diet means a better cardiovascular system and immune system,. And, if your diet has some gaps in it, a mineral and/or vitamin supplement might be beneficial.

Exercise: Working out is a great way to manage stress. Exercise improves your overall wellness and gives your immune system a helpful boost. You don’t even need to do vigorous exercise; going for a leisurely walk or swim every day is enough. While you get in shape on the outside, you can also get in shape on the inside.

Relaxation: When you’re stressed, it can take a negative toll upon your body. If you become sick and add stress into the equation, it can make the whole situation worse. Yoga, listening to music, and reading are great ways to calm your mind for a portion of your day and distract you from all the stress surrounding you. Everyone has different methods for diverting their brains from stress, so try different things until you find one that works for you.