December Holidays of Mystery to MHS Students

Liam Boris, Staff Writer

The results of a recent Breezes survey concluded that there is a broad range of interest in different December holidays — the three most common being Boxing Day (United Kingdom and the Commonwealth Nations), Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe (celebrated in Mexico by Catholics), and Kwanzaa (celebrated amongst African Americans). Because knowledge about cultures other than one’s own is valuable, below are descriptions of the three least-known December holidays among MHS students.
Boxing Day is a public holiday celebrated in the United Kingdom, New Zealand, Australia, and Canada, along with many other Commonwealth countries. This holiday was started in the Middle Ages with a purpose of giving gifts, money, and food to the workers and poor people of one’s community. Much like Thanksgiving to Americans, Boxing Day is a way to show gratitude to the people and things in life. Although this holiday isn’t celebrated in the US, it wouldn’t be a bad idea to start celebrating this day by expressing thanks.
The origins of the Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe start with the belief that the patron saint Mary of Mexico appeared to a man on December 12, 1531. This day has become a holy one in Catholic Mexican culture. Even 500 years after the founding of the holiday, the Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe continues to be celebrated.
Kwanzaa is a relatively new holiday — it was first celebrated in 1966/1967. It continues to be celebrated December 26th-January 1st of every year. Many people with an African American background celebrate this holiday with seven core principles. The seven values include unity, self-determination, collective work and responsibility, cooperative economics, purpose, creativity, and faith. Kwanzaa is celebrated by decorating the home with art and wearing colorful African cloth such as kente.
In conclusion, Boxing Day, the Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe, and Kwanzaa all share great values. Although celebrated in different corners of the world, all three of these December holidays focus on positive values in the life of the celebrator. It is safe to say that Minnetonka High School shares many common values as these holidays: let the celebrating begin.