Minnetonka High School's Student News

Minnetonka Breezes

Minnetonka High School's Student News

Minnetonka Breezes

Minnetonka High School's Student News

Minnetonka Breezes

The Sauna Renaissance
The Sauna Renaissance
March 22, 2024
Lets Talk Protein
Let's Talk Protein
March 22, 2024
Phenomenal Festivities
Phenomenal Festivities
March 22, 2024

Shot or not?

Shot or not?

Minnesota winters are harsh enough to begin with. Lasting for nearly half the year, the endless weeks of negative temperatures make it seem even longer. But one downside seems to trump them all: getting sick, especially with the flu. While this virus brings anxiety to these wintry months, a feeling just short of invincibility is available at your local minute clinic—the flu shot. Many people see it as indispensable to surviving the winter, getting their shot as they pick up pairs of mittens and snow shovels. But is it worth getting vaccinated? And what are the other alternatives to staying healthy?

First of all, here are some basics on the inoculation. Flu shots are composed of three types of the virus, based on previous types, and the way the virus spreads. However, there are hundreds of types of the flu virus, which means that even though you get the shot, you could still get a kind of flu not covered by the vaccine. Also, because the vaccine only contains a prediction of the common flu types, you are not completely protected from getting it. In fact, research shows that the flu shot is only 59 percent effective in preventing people from getting sick.

But if the shot is only 59 percent effective, what’s the point of getting vaccinated?

I spoke with Ms. Norton, a biology teacher, who shed some light on this confusing concept.   

She emphasized that the shot is important because it goes beyond just protecting yourself from the virus—it also protects the people around you. “The person initially getting the flu, if healthy, will just get the flu and be over it,” she says. But the people with weaker immune systems—young children, the elderly, people with HIV/AIDS— are still at risk. By not getting the shot, you are more likely to get sick and transfer the virus to others, putting those people with weaker immune systems at risk for serious complications, and even death.

I also talked with chiropractor Aaron Morland to find alternative ways to boost your immune system. One way is through better nutrition. Avoid processed food full of preservatives, and include more veggies, fruit, and meat in your diet. Vitamin D is also important, as it protects against diseases and fights infection. You can get this vitamin in a variety of ways, the sun being the most common. But if you live above the 39th parallel (i.e. Minnesotans), you do not get enough sun exposure throughout the year to generate enough vitamin D. This lack of exposure can be replaced by supplements, which can be found at drug stores. You can also strengthen your immune system by going to the chiropractor. Because your immune system is controlled by your nervous system, getting your spine adjusted may improve your immune system. Staying active and getting enough sleep for your body is also beneficial.

Whether you get the shot or not, following these tips can help you stay healthy throughout the flu season.