Women’s History Month: Honoring The Heroines of The Past and Present

Ray Shehadeh, Staff Writer

Every month brings with it a new cause, movement, or topic to celebrate and acknowledge. The month of March is all about women’s history. It’s a moment to commemorate the efforts of heroes that have pioneered the path towards equality for many generations to come. It’s a month to provide a platform for many women whose voices have helped us become the people we are today.

When it comes to history, women’s narrative has been one of exclusion and absence. For a long time, history has been written by men who left women’s stories out of the equation. Women’s History Month is a time to rewrite the biased narratives of the past and make an additional push to incorporate women’s issues and societal contributions into our daily discussions.

Not only is it a chance to view history through the lens of women, but also an opportunity to understand the challenges women have endured to secure their rights, including women’s suffrage and education.

Krista Hitchcock, Co-Director of the Minnetonka High School Writing Center, comments on how “for many years women have been passed over, ignored, and not acknowledged for their contributions.” She explains that “it’s really good to take a month to recognize the contributions of lots of women, historical and modern, because so many modern women [… ] are making great strides in what they do.”

Many of us are in need of a support group to uplift one another. In all the celebration of Women’s History Month, there is a feeling of connection and support between women.

Lisa Yildrim, ‘20, comments that Women’s Month “makes me feel noticed, empowered, and appreciate each other.”

Not only is it an opportunity to understand the challenges women have endured to secure their rights, including women’s suffrage and education, but also a chance to view history through the lens of women.

We should strive to celebrate and honor the cause of empowering women every single day. Designating a whole month to this issue brings extra focus to our society’s push to redefine how we label women.

Hitchcock adds that “everybody wears a lot of hats [in life] […] I admire most women I know because they wear so many hats […] they’re mothers and friends, so they have really rich personal lives, and they’re professionals and thinkers, and they contribute to their communities.”

After all, as experts suggest, a month is needed to change or create new habits. Same with Women’s History Month. We are in need of a month to solely focus on the contributions of women.