Phenomenal Festivities
Phenomenal Festivities

Life in Stripes

Life in Stripes

Sports officials have a tough job on the field:  They are there to enforce the rules and maintain the integrity of the game.  Referees have to be impartial on the field and have the courage to stand up to unruly coaches and fans.

Despite these requirements, many more young people are becoming involved in sports officiating.  Mary Fisher, a sophomore, began officiating girls’ lacrosse last year.  She became interested in becoming a referee because she “wanted to see the game from a referee’s point of view.”  Becoming a referee does change your view of the game.

To become a referee, you go through training so that you can learn and understand all of the rules of the game.  This allows you to see errors on the field when playing and help prevent your team from making the errors.   After being in a referee’s shoes, you understand how a referee feels and are able to treat the referee with more respect.

Mary also enjoys being a referee because she gets to “see the younger kids play.”  Usually a beginner referee will start working youth games.  Referees of youth games have crucial contributions to the development and educational experience of the young players.  Referees may need to explain to the kids why they made a certain call, or explain a rule they have broken, not just blow the whistle and move on.  This helps produce safe, knowledgeable players.

Mary recommends refereeing to anyone interested because it will “make you a smarter player, know more rules and have more respect for referees.”  If you are interested in becoming a referee, contact your local sports association for information.