Minnetonka High School's Student News

Minnetonka Breezes

Minnetonka High School's Student News

Minnetonka Breezes

Minnetonka High School's Student News

Minnetonka Breezes

The Sauna Renaissance
The Sauna Renaissance
March 22, 2024
Lets Talk Protein
Let's Talk Protein
March 22, 2024
Phenomenal Festivities
Phenomenal Festivities
March 22, 2024

Chomp the Trojans!

Coming off a weeklong break, the Wayzata Trojans are sure to be prepared for their first conference matchup of the season.  They have won all three of their nonconference games so far this year, most recently crushing Robbinsdale-Armstrong  55 – 6.

So are the Skippers ready to “Chomp the Trojans?”  Jack Bixler thinks so.

Bixler is one of our four football captains this year, along with fellow seniors DeAndre Singleton, Malcolm Moore, and Bennett Celichowski.  Together, the captains are responsible for creating the best possible team by motivating the players around them.  As tonight is the big game, they are also responsible for keeping the team focused. “We have to make sure we don’t get too caught up in the festivities or worrying about the dance the next day,” said Bixler when I spoke with him earlier this week.

I asked him if playing Wayzata for the Homecoming game was intimidating.  Isn’t there more pressure on the team to win?  His response: “No, actually it’s relieving.  Having more of a fan base gets us more pumped up.  It will be even better than a normal game, or having to play Wayzata at their Homecoming, like last year.”

Wayzata has had almost two weeks to prepare for tonights game.  But they have not yet faced any real competition.  In contrast, Minnetonka has already played a conference game against Edina and an intense preseason game against Arrowhead, a top-ranked team from Wisconsin.  According to Bixler, when it comes to playing at a higher intensity, “it is going to help us being in that situation when Wayzata hasn’t.”

So far this season Minnetonka has slaughtered three nonconference teams and nearly defeated Edina in overtime.  “Each week we improve,” says Bixler, “But even when we win by a lot we come to film the next day and find all the little things we can improve upon.”

The team is also strong enough to overcome misfortune.  For example, on their way to Eagan on September 14th, one of the Skippers’ buses broke down and the entire team had to cram onto a single bus.  But Bixler was proud of the team, saying, “I think it showed that we can keep the team on track even through tough times.”  Minnetonka beat Eagan 34 – 13 later that night.

Minnetonka Football’s motto this year is Shoulder-to-Shoulder.  But what does that mean?  Bixler explains, “It means we’re one unit, standing shoulder to shoulder.  There is no adversity between the players, we don’t go off into small groups and complain.  We’re a team through the good and bad times. Always shoulder to shoulder.”

Such a strong bond between the players makes it clear why Jack Bixler knows we are ready to devour the Trojans.   “We’re coming out and playing Minnetonka Football no matter what.”  And I believe him.  So get hungry, Skippers! Let’s CHOMP THOSE TROJANS!