Minnetonka High School's Student News

Minnetonka Breezes

Minnetonka High School's Student News

Minnetonka Breezes

Minnetonka High School's Student News

Minnetonka Breezes

The Sauna Renaissance
The Sauna Renaissance
March 22, 2024
Lets Talk Protein
Let's Talk Protein
March 22, 2024
Phenomenal Festivities
Phenomenal Festivities
March 22, 2024

Sports Book Recommendations

The Boys of Winter: The Untold Story of a Coach, a Dream and the 1980 U.S. Olympic Hockey Team

By: Wayne Coffey

Many Americans know of or have seen the movie Miracle, a movie that centers on the 1980 U.S. Olympic Hockey team.  This book goes even deeper into this story and keeps the game against the Soviets as its main focus.  This “miracle” game is precisely told and grabs the reader’s attention.   One of the best aspects of this book is that the author tells the story the way it is, without adding any unnecessary metaphors or phrases.  He skillfully avoids the hype and sentimental pieces of American pride and tells the story in a raw and powerful way.

Summer of ‘49

By:  David Halberstam

The subject of this book is the 1949 Pennant between the New York Yankees and the Boston Red Sox, which was not decided until the last game of the season.  1949 was a turning point in American baseball, and Halberstam really captures the facts and stories that arose from this dramatic season between two long standing rivals.  Although the book is pretty baseball history heavy, there are many stories and well researched facts that will surprise the casual and relentless baseball history fan.

The Perfect Mile: Three Athletes, One Goal, and Less Than Four Minutes to Achieve It

By: Neal Bascomb

This book captures the true story of the race for the four minute mile.  At the time, this was thought to be beyond the limits of human foot speed, but three all-time great runners, Roger Bannister, John Landy, and We Santee set out to break this record in 1952.  Neal Bascomb intertwines their three stories, which spanned three continents, into one captivating story of the golden age of running.  This book tells the story of these runners and the breathtaking true story of achieving the “impossible.”  I recommend this book specifically to runners, or anyone who enjoys history.  During this time period, the race to the four minute mile stole headlines from the Korean War and the atomic arms race.  The world was watching these three running greats, and this book captures that year in an easy to read format.