Ways to De-Stress: Four Easy, Simple Tips to Make Life Easier

Seth Johnson, Staff Writer

It’s the beginning of the school year, and sometimes it can be a little difficult to readjust to the academic lifestyle. Here are some tips and advice for staying focused and healthy as we move into November.

• Stay Active: Minnetonka is a great school for physical fitness because it offers so many clubs, classes, and sports options. If you don’t want to commit to varsity or junior varsity sports teams, there are plenty of intramural or club sports that are easier to fit into your schedule. There is also a fitness center available every day after school. Regular physical activity can help relieve stress and improve concentration.
  • Drink Enough Water: Bring a bottle with you to school! Making sure you’re hydrated can help you avoid headaches, fatigue, and illness while improving your memory and metabolism. Constant drinking helps your body and brain function at full capacity – if you do feel tired, drinking water can help you feel more alert and focused for that test in 5th hour. Many Minnetonka students carry Nalgene water bottles. “It’s really helpful because it holds a lot of water and I can refill it during the day,” said Connor Erb ’17. Other students like to personalize their water bottles with stickers from their favorite brands or teams.
  • Get Your Sleep: This probably seems self-explanatory, but a good night’s sleep can really determine how you approach the day. High schoolers are recommended to get 8-10 hours a night. Not only do you have more energy, getting enough sleep actually strengthens your neural connections to help you retain knowledge (so, you can effectively study while you sleep!). If you find yourself struggling to get enough sleep because of homework or feel tired even though you got 8 hours, consider downloading an app that tracks your sleep. By tracking when you enter deep sleep periods, an app like Sleep Cycle + Apple Health ensures you wake up when your body is prepared. “It helps me wake up feeling energized,” says Ben Wiley ’17, “it’s a little thing each night that can make a big difference.
  • Effective Time Management: A common source of stress for students is amount of homework versus available time. Some students, myself included, sometimes struggle with procrastination and staying focused on work. One technique that may be useful is to take small breaks during work – for example, 25 minutes of work, then a 5-minute break. Follow all these tips and school will seem much easier to your healthier mind and body.