It’s About Time: Chicago Cubs Win World Series

Seth Johnson, Staff Writer

The Chicago Cubs won the 2016 World Series on November 2nd, marking the first time in 108 years. It was a huge victory for the Cubs, who had previously held the longest title drought among any major American sports franchise. Their opponents, the Cleveland Indians, also had a long drought, last winning the championship in 1948. Either way, it would have been a historic finish.

The series was also one of the best to watch in recent history. In addition to the drama of two extended winless streaks, the series went to the maximum seven games and featured the Cubs coming back from a 3-1 deficit to force a winner-take-all Game 7.

Anyone who thought watching baseball was boring would find nothing to complain about in this game. It featured both moments of stellar pitching and hitting. In tense back and forth action, runs were scored on throwing errors, mis-hits, and multiple home runs. Cubs catcher David Ross had a solo home run in what was his final game. Indians outfielder Rajai Davis also had a clutch two-run homer with two outs in the bottom of the eighth inning.

The decisive Game 7 went to extra innings, only the fifth instance in the history of the World Series. The Cubs scored two runs in the top of the 10th, but the game was not over yet. The Indians scored one run and had the winning run at the plate in the bottom half of the inning. However, the Cubs managed to prevent any more runs to win the game.

Statistically, it had the highest average viewers (twenty-two million) since the 2004 World Series, and the forty million viewers for Game 7 was the most of any World Series game since fifty million watched the Minnesota Twins win Game 7 in 1991.

Cubs fans everywhere were elated, including Minnetonka students.

Senior Andrew Reschke said, “I’ve been a Cubs fan since birth. Even when we haven’t played well, I’ve always thought, ‘This is our year.’ When we won, I couldn’t stop smiling for two days.”

It took over a century, but the Cubs are finally back on top.