Yoga and Meditation Club

Jake Niefield, Staff Writer

Relaxation can be hard to come by as a high school student or faculty member. Hours upon hours of homework topped off by countless extracurriculars can have people itching to find a source of serenity. One club has provided a solution for both groups: Yoga and Meditation club, founded and supervised by Profe Alison Terrell.

This club meets Wednesdays at 2:55 PM in the Black Box and they focus on an array of activities to help students and staff alike to destress. by providing an outlet in which one can relax. When asked why she made this club, Profe Terrell said, “I just thought it’d be great for not only students but staff, it’s so good for the mind and body and for the spirit. It’s been something I’ve wanted to do for awhile but this year I was really pushed to do it.”

The benefits are so numerous that it’s overwhelming, it works the body as well as the spirit. When talking about the benefits, Adidi Juma, ‘18, said: “Ever since I started yoga, I can feel the change: more flexible and my arms are stronger, it’s a great workout for the entire body.” With being an exchange student from Tanzania, Yoga was completely new to him and he loves that it’s so inclusive saying, “I get to meet new people outside of the class or in any kind of sports. You can include any person in the school, like there are some kitchen staff and other teachers as well as students all together under one roof.”

However, it’s not just for students, staff and faculty attend. When talking about why he joined Yoga, Minnetonka alumnus, and current Spanish teacher, Tim Felty said, “I attend yoga [because] it’s one of the few clubs in this school where there’s an equal number of participants of faculty, staff, and students. So to have that common interest across the board, where on any given Wednesday afternoon, you’ll have 20 people, 10 students, and 10 adults. Everyone’s absolutely equal in the club.” This sense of equality provides a progressive approach to the idea of putting students on the same level as staff.

No matter the experience, everyone in the club is determined to make it a safe and welcoming space. The students are very adamant that this club helps both staff and students, Mia Pankoff, ‘19, said: “We have 50% staff and 50% students so it allows people to interact outside of a classroom setting and provides relaxation.”

Now all that’s left is to attend and work to improve your mind and also your body. Namaste.