Minnetonka’s Best Unknown Elective

Harry Rowe, Staff Writer

It’s no secret that Minnetonka High School is a major advocate of technology. We were one of the first schools in Minnesota to incorporate iPads into academic life in 2012, and have stressed the importance of visual learning through technology ever since.
However, the implementing of iPads in the classroom hasn’t been the only innovative step Minnetonka has taken towards gearing learning to a new generation of students.
Video Game Design, a little-known elective at Minnetonka High School, is an engaging and exciting course available to all students.
The class, taught by Nick Bahr, is a one semester-long program that challenges students to create video games, while learning the skills and software used in the field.
When surveying several students enrolled in the class, I found that there were a number of reasons students chose to enroll in the computer programming course.
Kevin Kwan (‘18) said that he took the class to test out possible career paths.
“It was an interesting choice that touched base on what I want to look into for my future,” he recalled.
Other students just took it because it looked fun.
“I like video games,” said Ryan O’Donnell, a Minnetonka junior.
Regardless of what their reasons were for entering Video Game Design 1, the students really enjoy it.
“I like how laid back it is,” Kwan stated, “We have projects we can work on at our own pace.”
“It’s fun to learn how games work.” O’Donnell agreed.
Mr. Bahr has already been teaching the class for four years. A specialist in technology, Bahr wishes there were more classes like VGD.
“I think 21st century skills like creativity and problem thinking are critical,” Mr. Bahr reflected, “Computer programs seem to convey those things and even outside technology, it is very important”
Mr. Bahr explains that his favorite part of the class is seeing kids synthesize everything they’ve learned in their final project. In this assignment, students design a game from the ground up with skills they attained throughout the semester. Bahr laughed when he described the various faculty members and high school staff that have been made into characters.
If you have an interest in technology or video games, this class is a strong choice to consider for your schedule next year. No matter what career path you wish to explore, the critical thinking and creativity that Video Game Design 1 has to offer will make you wish you had taken it sooner.