How to motivate yourself to Get Stuff Done!

Weihao Qu, Staff Writer

As students, you’re probably familiar with the term “burn out”. It’s when even the thought of opening your backpack makes you tired. Lack of motivation is a real problem; a study from the National Research Council states that up to 40 percent of high school students are chronically disengaged from school. Thus, staying motivated has become an art form. And, with a little help, you can master it too. Here are some tips on how to push through those daily obstacles preventing you from achieving your goals.

1. Laugh. Often, we are unmotivated simply because we’re in a bad mood. Studies show that procrastination is a mood-management technique. Watching some funny YouTube videos may brighten your attitude and give you the emotional strength you need to finish your work.
  2. Find a partner. Although this can easily backfire, when done right, studying with a “study buddy” does wonders. If you and your friend complement each other in an academic setting, helping each other finish work more efficiently, then a little peer interaction couldn’t hurt.
  3. Stay healthy. Health is fundamental to our motivation. Exercise regularly, eat healthily, and sleep normally. But you already knew this.
  4. Emphasize progress. Teresa Amabile from Harvard showed through her research that “of all the positive events that influence inner work life, the single most powerful is progress in meaningful work”. Look how far you’ve come! You go!
  5. Get organized. A cluttered mind is also a sneaky culprit for burnout. Organize your room, your folders, your mind and thoughts. This way, you add structure to your life, which is incredibly helpful in making deadlines and staying focused.