Me and Earl and the Dying Girl

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl

Kate Schiltz, Staff Writer

Last Thursday, I had the privilege of seeing a preview of Me and Earl and the Dying Girl, a movie about a teenage boy, Greg (Thomas Mann), and his journey to find himself after meeting Rachel (Olivia Cooke), who has just been diagnosed with cancer. In addition to this, I was able to have a phone interview with the director of the film, Alfonso Gomez-Rejon.

Based off of the book (Me and Earl and the Dying Girl), the story follows Greg through his last year of high school. His plan for finishing the year is going according to plan, until his mom makes him hang out with Rachel, a girl who has just been diagnosed with cancer. Throughout the story, the two become closer, along with Greg’s friend, Earl. Because Earl and Greg have been friends since childhood and share a strange interest in old, rare movies, the two make films together. They have a huge collection of movies they make together to try and remake the old movies, but with a twist. This may seem like the ordinary, run-of-the-mill story, where the young girl gets cancer, she falls in love with a boy, and we all know how it ends. In reality, this movie is so much more.

Many things make this movie much better than the average teen movie. First, the relationship between Rachel and Greg is much more realistic. The two don’t immediately fall in love at first glance, or have any awkward love scenes. Instead, they begin to hang out because they’re parents force them, and slowly become friends. That’s much more realistic than two teens falling madly in love at first glance, isn’t it? And for most people, is much more interesting.

Also, the movie cinematography is amazing. The filming of the movie goes from linear and geometric to almost like it was being shot with a hand held camera. When I asked Mr.

Gomez-Rejon about why he decided to have such a variety of themes, he described how the cinematography showed Greg’s growth. In the beginning it’s very linear, because he feels in control, and everything is right and going smoothly for him. But once his life starts getting shaken up by Rachel, the cinematography starts becoming less smooth and perfect. “the movie kind of follows his internal emotional journey” Mr. Gomez-Rejon told me.

Finally, the last argument I will make as to why everyone should see this movie is the great acting. Big names are in it, like Olivia Cooke (Bates Motel, The Quiet Ones) and Nick Offerman (Parks and Recreation), but the less known actors like Thomas Mann and RJ Cyler were fantastic. The friendly chemistry between all the actors could be easily identified, which made the film both entertaining and enjoyable to watch.

So yes, this movie may sound ordinary and stereotypical, but Me and Earl and the Dying Girl is anything but stereotypical.