Minnetonka High School's Student News

Minnetonka Breezes

Minnetonka High School's Student News

Minnetonka Breezes

Minnetonka High School's Student News

Minnetonka Breezes

The Sauna Renaissance
The Sauna Renaissance
March 22, 2024
Lets Talk Protein
Let's Talk Protein
March 22, 2024
Phenomenal Festivities
Phenomenal Festivities
March 22, 2024

Envirothon Confronts Climate Change

Photo courtesy of @mhsenviorthon on Instagram ENVIROTHON CLUB: Enviorthon after competitng last May at state in Fergus Falls

There’s no doubt that our planet’s environment is changing as our generation grows older. When taking a look at climate change alone, according to NASA, 2016 and 2020 are tied for the hottest years on record. But, while these statistics may seem grim, the future has a good chance to look bright with the still young minds. This is where Envirothon comes in – a team-based competition where students compete with their knowledge about the environment to learn more about their surroundings.

Envirothon consists of five main categories of study; forestry, aquatics, wildlife, soils, and current events, with one team member from each group studying a category throughout the year to prepare for the competititon. But the importance of the competition stems much further beyond its competitive stance. Envirothon has the potential to be a force for good in the future, and for great reason.

Alison Peterson, advisor of Envirothon, says that the competition “gives [students] a variety of knowledge, it builds your critical thinking skills, it builds your communication skills,” and that it allows students to “make conclusive discussion and arguments regarding environmental issues,” which, she says, won’t ever be going away.

The content being studied between teams includes an overview on how the natural world operates both on large and small scales. For example, when looking over the current events of today, students and their teams study with a global lens in order to take into account the world’s sustainability headlines. This further creates an awareness of our planet’s current state, allowing for Envirothon students to explore future possibilities for the world. Personally, before I myself participated in Envirothon last year, I had no idea what the significance of fertilizer in soils was. Now, after being a participant, I can understand the importance behind keeping the soil beneath our feet healthy for plant life to thrive.

Sadie Heiland, ‘25, says “the people who get really far in [Envirothon] will most likely end up working with environmental studies.” Heiland is returning to the competition this year. Going further, Heiland states that the competition’s core topics “fully encompass what environmental studies [are],” and that the competition itself allows people “to have an interest in the environment.”

If you’re interested in joining, Envirothon meets after school on Thursdays in room 1204 until the first competition in mid-April.