Skippers in the line of duty

Skippers in the line of duty

Often times when you think of student involvement with the police, it means being on the receiving end of the punishment. However, not for Abbey Denham. Along with a selection of other Minnetonka students, Abbey is part of the Minnetonka Police Explorers. Through this program, Abbey experiences a job in law enforcement first hand, training and competing at a regional conference each year, and nationally every two years. Abbey explains that she trains in thirteen different scenarios, where she learns a variety of skills, including interrogation and interview techniques, responding to bomb threats, and hostage negotiation, which is one of her favorites. She also learns how to shoot a pistol, which is part of the competition at the conferences.
Besides training at the conferences, Abbey also helps out with community events. “We do a lot of traffic direction and working at city events,” Abbey says, like Tour de Tonka and Minnetonka Summerfest. “We also do ride-alongs with officers, which is where a lot of strange things happen.”
Abbey’s involvement with this program began in middle school, proving that those career days really can help reveal what you’re passionate about. “I went on a ride along as part of career shadow day back in eighth grade and I really liked it.” Abbey was then recommended for Minnetonka Police explorers. “I went to orientation that fall my freshman year,” she explains, “I really liked it and have been going ever since.”
As for her favorite part, Abbey explains that one of the main reasons she has stayed involved is the people she works with. “I really like interacting with the people there,” she says, “they’re a good group of people.”