Minnetonka High School's Student News

Minnetonka Breezes

Minnetonka High School's Student News

Minnetonka Breezes

Minnetonka High School's Student News

Minnetonka Breezes

The Sauna Renaissance
The Sauna Renaissance
March 22, 2024
Lets Talk Protein
Let's Talk Protein
March 22, 2024

National Signing Day

2023 has given Minnetonka High School plenty of accolades to brag about on a state and National level. The Skippers have secured Championships and awards at section, state and National levels, and it’s all thanks to the athletes who make it happen. But MHS secured debatably their greatest accolade yet this year on November 8th, when the NCAA’s Fall National Signing Day saw 25 Skippers commit to play D1/D2 athletics at the collegiate level, the most in school history.

Obviously, winning championships and being named to All-State teams is special, but the recognition of being a college athlete is just different. Ruby Swenson, a senior who committed to play lacrosse at Grand Valley State next year said, “It’s crazy to be able to say that I play a college sport and am on scholarship. Getting the phone call and offer from [GVSU] was awesome because I always knew that’s where I wanted to be.” There are very few athletes in the country who can say they have the opportunity to play collegiate sports and there’s a lot of pride that goes with that. Marco Christiansen, a senior who will be wrestling for the highly ranked Nebraska Cornhuskers next year, said, “It means a lot. I honestly never thought I’d get to the point where I’m wrestling for a program like Nebraska, and it’s still surreal to think that I’m going to a top 5 program in the nation. It’s cool but it’s a little scary.” 

For many athletes who participated in National Signing Day at Minnetonka, there’s still plenty of unfinished business they have as a Skipper. For winter or spring athletes, there’s still an entire season to play, and while coach speak would tell you the mindset doesn’t change just because of a college commitment, that’s simply not realistic. Christiansen said, “Being a Nebraska commit definitely puts a target on my back but I also know that my coaches trust me to handle that pressure.” Swenson also alluded to the leadership role that comes with being a superstar athlete in a team sport like lacrosse. “I want to be the best possible leader for underclassmen. Obviously I’d love to go to state but I also want to enjoy the last season with my teammates, and grow as a player.” The bar is going to be set unbelievably high for anyone that opposing teams know is a high level commit, but you can’t get to this point without holding yourself to an elite standard as well, so this is nothing that these Skippers can’t handle.

Over the past couple years, Minnetonka High School athletics has fostered a community which expects and achieves excellence across the board, and seeing the number 25 as the end result of that effort is something for all Minnetonka athletes to feel super proud of. 13 sports were represented on National Signing Day for Minnetonka, and whether it was Christiansen to Nebraska, Swimmer Paige Dillon to North Carolina, or various hockey players to some of the best programs in the country, plenty of those athletes got to the point where they will be representing the cream of the crop in their respective sports. Christiansen said, “It’s pretty cool to be a part of this group. The Class of 2024 is arguably the most athletic class we’ve ever had, and the amount of high level D1 athletes is absolutely insane.” Swenson added, “There’s such a big community of athletes at Minnetonka. We have so many opportunities, and I’m so proud to be a part of it. It’s an awesome group to be surrounded by.” Ultimately, congratulations to any athlete who participated in National Signing Day, will be going on to play collegiate athletics, or who is currently balling out at Minnetonka. If Tonka High School athletics are a stock, it’s at an all time high, and it’s climbing at a record pace.