Minnetonka High School's Student News

Minnetonka Breezes

Minnetonka High School's Student News

Minnetonka Breezes

Minnetonka High School's Student News

Minnetonka Breezes

May 2024 Backpage
May 2024 Backpage
May 31, 2024
That's a Wrap
May 31, 2024
To the Top!
May 31, 2024

Tonka Takes Track

If you’re looking for a great way to get into sports, look no further than track and field. Combining individual sports with a True Team championship, athletes get the best of both worlds by taking home individual medals while still cheering on and celebrating with their team. Minnetonka in particular has had success in placing many athletes on the podium in individual events in order to take home the championship.

Of the 69 team state championships Minnetonka has won since 1952, Girls Track and Field has taken home 8. This is an undisputed record for MSHSL Girls Track state championships and as they claimed the state championship last year, the team
is looking forward to defending their title. With varsity winning 12 out of 16 events at the April Girls Tri against Wayzata and
Edina, they are already on their way.

Besides talent and hard work, Zeal Kuku, ‘25, believes her team’s dedication is what makes them stand out, consistently winning titles across all events. “Our practices make us very dedicated,” Kuku says, describing heat training, in which the team wears long sleeves until it’s at least 80 degrees. “That dedication helps us excel.”

Everything that athletes put into the sport, they get back in the form of work ethic, on top of a great team of friends. Mere Gilles, ‘25, says the team is “all like best friends and have so much fun together.” Kuku agrees, saying “we’re all really connected. I feel like all the freshmen and seniors really know and like each other.” In terms of work ethic, Kuku says track and field “really helps build dedication, motivation, and hard work,” all incredibly important assets to a student athlete.

Besides the development of more mental stamina, other noticeable impacts from the sport include improved sleep and improved
physical health from exercising regularly. It also releases the biochemical substance endocannabinoids, which decrease stress. Overall, running track has been scientifically and socially proven to be worth it.