A Successful 2019 Student Exchange with Hamburg

Emma Ostrom, Staff Writer

The most recent international studies students’ stay was short but oh-so-sweet. From riding on sleds pulled behind cars to their very first – and life-changing – time eating at Chipotle, the Hamburg (as in Hamburg, Germany. Not Hamburg, Minnesota) students made good use of their time here at Minnetonka High School.

You might have seen some of them around school. Oftentimes groups of them gathered in the Port like true Skippers. Anyone lucky enough to strike up a conversation with one of them probably learned a thing or two about life 4,300 miles away.

When asked about the differences in school environments, Sinan, one of the German exchange students, mentioned how Minnetonka students go on their phones a lot more in class than they do in Germany.

“We would be kicked out of class. Our school is a lot more strict, said Sinan.

“There is more interaction between students and teachers in Germany,” added Oskar, another exchange student.

With their free time in Minnesota, a lot of the German students enjoyed going to Lifetime Fitness to play basketball, playing out in the snow and even swing dancing downtown. And, of course, they paid a visit to the Mall Of America.

“The MOA was amazing. I would go every week,” said Oskar.  

After their two and a half week stay, they aren’t ready to go after getting to know their guest families and making new friends. However, in June, the Minnetonka international study students will take their turn in being the tourist and go to Hamburg.

As part of international studies, which is a course offered here at MHS, students will develop a relationship with their “correspondent”, who could live in China, India, Russia, Norway, Serbia, South Africa, Spain, Greece, and of course, Germany. By writing to them multiple times a week, MHS student will learn about their correspondent’s culture and country’s history.

“My favorite part of the program is getting the opportunity to work with my students on intercultural understanding and sharing a passion for learning and interacting with a culture different from my own,” said Chet Masteller, the director of International Studies.