Navigating the Ups and Downs of Senior Year

Manal Yusuf, Staff Writer

Busy with their last year of high school, most seniors are focusing on college applications and managing life outside of school. A majority of seniors also partake in a sport or a club, making their schedules even busier. Thoughts on senior year range from excited to extremely nervous. Although it is only four months into the school year with winter break and the new year around the corner, balancing academics, sports, activities and post-high school applications can be challenging for many of these teens. 

Ruby Pajibo, ‘23, a varsity runner for the girls track and field team, says part of being a student athlete who is planning on participating in D1 athletics is balance. 

Pajibo said, “It can be difficult at times, but when a person puts their mind to something, it can be done. Training is similar to studying; when you create a schedule for yourself and put in the time and effort, you will find success, and other times, you will find yourself struggling. But the only thing you can do is get back up and continue.” 

Another thing seniors might struggle with is some bad habits accumulated over the years: procrastination, not getting enough sleep, and not knowing your limit when it comes to mental health.

Joy Otieno, ‘23, said that a bad habit she has is “putting unnecessary stress on [herself].” To fix this issue, Otieno has started “journaling and planning out [her] week on a planner.”

Otieno, who is also a PSEO student, explained that taking college classes almost full-time makes it hard to figure out what to do and when to see friends. She explained, “Being in the college environment is great because it gives me a head start on what to expect next year, but it is also hard to connect with people in my classes due to the age difference.”

Isabelle Chabin, ‘23, an IB Diploma candidate, shared the most challenging part of senior year for her is “not giving up.” Like Chabin, many struggle with seasonal changes and heavy workloads. However, she is happy with her choice to pursue a unique experience her last two years of high school. She said, “I feel that joining IB was one of the best decisions I’ve made.”

Be they varsity athletes, PSEO students or IB Diploma candidates, seniors are all working to improve their habits and mental health. They all hope to finish their final year of high school strong and get ready to start off their post-secondary education on the right foot.