Season of Serving

Serving others: we all know it, we all do it. Whether it’s helping a neighbor shovel their driveway or participating in a service-based club, most MHS students are engaging in community service in one way or another. Minnetonka doesn’t require any community service to graduate, unlike many other schools, but sometimes it can feel like an obligation. If you think community service is boring, you’re doing it wrong. 

There are over 20 different service-based clubs and groups at MHS, and it’s all but guaranteed that you’ll find one that suits your fancy. If you’re unsure where to start, try your grade level Legacy Club, check the Tonka Serves website for specific ideas, or stop by the Activities office. If you’ve been meaning to take up a new hobby, Crochet for Charity might be the place for you. If you’re searching for an activity where you can be social while serving others, try packing meals for Feed My Starving Children with Be the Change. At its core, service is just doing good deeds for others without expecting payment in return. The most important thing is to find something that suits your interests and that you enjoy doing. 

Volunteer work doesn’t just benefit others- you learn new skills or strengthen the ones you already have while serving a greater cause. There are untold benefits to service, and research supports the fact that serving others builds your own self-esteem, self-confidence, and sense of belonging. Sarah Johnson, the district Community Service Specialist, says that one benefit is “understanding how we communicate with others and how we are dependent on others”. She adds that, through servitude, you learn “how we commit to others and how we are dependent on others.” Volunteering helps one become a better person, especially young people who are still developing their sense of self, community, and civic responsibility.

Whether you pick up a shift at the Humane Society, distribute produce through a food shelf, or pick up litter in a park, get out and serve your community this holiday season!