Best Art Electives at Minnetonka

Minnetonka+High+School+offers+a+variety+of+visual+art+classes+through+an+elective+format.+

Minnetonka Skipper Log

Minnetonka High School offers a variety of visual art classes through an elective format.

Becca Schumacher, Staff Writer

Many students have their artwork showcased in the gallery, located near the Arts Center entrance.

One of the advantages of being a student at Minnetonka High School is that the opportunities are limitless. There’s a class for every conceivable area of interest, from cooking to multi-variable calculus to advanced Spanish literature. This can also be a disadvantage as there are just so many to choose from, especially in the art department, so we at Breezes created a list of some of the best art electives at MHS:

• Airbrush is all about creativity and freedom since freehand is minimal and it’s all about learning the basics said Mr. Eby, the teacher “you don’t have to be artistic to be successful”. In Airbrush I, students start with painting their designs on paper, felt, and finally t-shirts, and advance to 3D objects like helmets and license plates in Airbrush II. Although it’s listed under technology education in the Skipper Log, Airbrush counts as an art elective.
  • Ceramics is open to anyone, regardless of artistic talent. The teacher is always careful to make sure that students are comfortable and understand the concepts, leaving no one behind and confused. The best part of ceramics is that, unlike many painting or drawing classes, the pieces students create in this class won’t be left sitting on shelves for the next ten years. They’re actually objects that students can use at home, like teapots and coffee mugs.
  • Photography covers everything from developing photos to using digital cameras. While it’s a really fun elective, it’s definitely not an easy A. The teachers have high expectations and the projects are fast paced, but a lot of students love it because it’s very hands-on and the skills taught in photography can be used in real life in a professional setting.
  • Interior Design centers around learning interior design concepts and then putting them to use. Students spend the semester learning the principles of interior design and then implement them at the end by designing their dream house. One of the best parts of the class is the teacher, Mrs. Kranz, whose teaching style is encouraging and motivational, which is perfect for a beginner class.
  • Fashion student, Elayna Sitzman puts it, Fashion is where  “different forms of art all come together.” Students create their designs through painting and drawing. It’s very project orientated, with hands-on activities rather than paper tests. In addition to, fashion students have a unique opportunity: a travel study to New York City, where students will get to visit the Met, FIT (Fashion Institute of Technology), Mod Fabrics, and Carlos’ Bakery.