Cinco De Mayo

Faith Watz, Staff Writer

Cinco De Mayo is a Mexican holiday celebrated on May 5th; it historically commemorates Mexico’s victory over the French Empire at the Battle of Puebla in 1862.

To some people’s surprise, many Cinco De Mayo celebrations occur in the United States, specifically on the West Coast in parts of California. These celebrations consist of festivals, parties and parades or any gathering of family and friends. 

In Mexico, many celebrate with military parades and recreations of the battle.

Editors at www.history.com explain that “For many Mexicans, however, May 5 is a day like any other: It is not a federal holiday, so offices, banks and stores remain open.”

In 1862, French troops set out to attack Puebla de Los Angeles, a small town in east-central Mexico. They were certain they would succeed in their attack; Mexican troops were low on supplies and greatly outnumbered.Mexico formed a small troop of 2,000 loyal men to fight back. The battle lasted an entire day; when the French finally retreated, they had lost nearly 500 soldiers. Fewer than 100 Mexicans had been killed in the clash. May 5th represented this victory for the Mexican people and government, so much so that Cinco De Mayo is still celebrated today.

Editors at www.history.com share that “Today, revelers mark the occasion with parades, parties, mariachi music, Mexican folk dancing and traditional foods such as tacos and mole poblano.”

Cinco De Mayo is one of many Mexican traditions. It can be so interesting and educational to learn about new cultures. This knowledge can help people view life from a different perspective and better relate to others.

One amazing resource here at MHS is the Global Cultures Club. They explore different cultures through students and allow a place for them to share their stories and experiences. 

Leyden Streed ‘21, who is a Global Cultures Club leader, gave some advice to MHS students looking to expand their knowledge on other cultures.

“If [students] just look outside of their bubble and look around them a bit more, they will be able to notice that there are a lot of opportunities around them,” she said. 

Streed also said that, in Global Cultures Club, they plan outings to immerse themselves in different cultures. They would go to different events or try different cultural foods.

“I think that’s a really valuable experience because people are able to see in their own community how many cultures there really are,” Streed said. 

If any MHS students are interested in checking out Global Cultures Club, they can check out @globalculturesclub.tonka on instagram for more information.