Happy Holidays: Special Traditions at MHS

Maureen Reinhardt, Web Editor

The holidays are upon us and it’s an exciting time for everyone. Minnetonka students all come from different backgrounds, different religions, and different heritages. Celebrating the holidays is important to many, regardless of where you come from. Even if you don’t observe a specific holiday this winter, you may still have a special tradition with your family.

Many students celebrate Christmas at Minnetonka, and while most participate in the normal Christmas Eve dinner and presents under the tree the next morning, it’s also typical to have one or more extra little things that make your holiday unique to you and your family.

Breezes interviewed a number of Minnetonka students and found that there is a large range of great holiday activities.

Thoughts of the holidays are stereotypically associated with Santa Claus appearances, a fir tree wrapped with lights and embellished with ornaments, and presents underneath. However, it’s important to note that not everyone follows this overpraised tradition. Many Minnetonka families have their own special ways of celebrating, whether it’s as simple as traveling to see family or making a unique dish.

Some families have the tradition of opening a gift or two before Christmas, such as Hannah Dvorak, ’17, who revels in her family tradition of playing the Midwestern-praised game of “White Elephant” on Christmas Eve. Similarly, Abby Gray, ’18, and family have another exciting way of getting to open a gift early: “Every Christmas Eve we go over to my grandparents house and we have a gingerbread house making contest before we open our presents. The person who decorated their gingerbread house the best gets to open the first present.”

Others find ways to get back to their family roots. Fiona O’Connell, ’17, tells Breezes, “We always listen to a recording of ‘A Child’s Christmas in Wales,’ a short memoir read by the author on Christmas Eve.”

Thatcher Donovan, ’17, and his family go the route of food, “We eat traditional Pennsylvania Dutch food, since we are Pennsylvania Dutch.”

Many Norwegian families such as Freshman Mitchell Robinson, Sophomore Sam Glenn, and Senior Alex Heine’s make Norwegian dishes like Lefsa, Kransekake, or a poppy seed bread dish. Gabe Joo, ’17, and his family make Paella, a Valencian rice dish.

An exciting way that Minnetonka families are brought together is by playing games. Both Anna Newell, ’18, and Gavin Mostoller, ’18, play Bingo with their families on Christmas Eve. Gavin tells Breezes that he plays with his entire extended family, which is over forty people. Alex Heine plays “Hide the Pickle” with his family. What this game usually entails is a pickle ornament placed somewhere on the tree, and the first person to find it might receive an extra gift.

Aside from all the food and games and gifts, some of the greatest traditions can be the simplest of things that you can do with your family. Gillian Rieder, ’17, plays Christmas carols with her whole family, “Dad on trumpet, Mom on flute, me on cello, Grandpa on piano, and everyone sings.”

Ben Olson, ’17, spends his Christmas Day traveling all over Minnesota visiting each side of his family. And Hannah Broadent, ’19, reenacts the Nativity scene with her younger sister Mary, ’20, and family.

Minnetonka is full of wonderful traditions special to each student. Breezes recognizes the number of other religions present in our school and every tradition that may come along with each one. No matter what holiday you celebrate be it Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Saint Lucia, Eid, Christmas or any other, the holidays are a joyful time to share with family and friends. Your traditions are what make your holiday special, no matter how small.