Phenomenal Festivities
Phenomenal Festivities

November’s Noise

November’s Noise

Tweez by Slint
Tweez captures the dreary angst of November, a cold month where the trees are bare and the colors are gray. This debut record mixes the sounds of grunge and hardcore and sprinkles in some math rock to create a heavy hitting yet beautiful sound that intrigues the ears. Brian McMahan and Britt Walford’s wistful stories make this much more than a loud record but one that is also thoughtful.

We Buy Diabetic Test Strips by Armand Hammer & Billy Woods
This collaboration between two modern underground hip hop legends feels like a Basquiat painting come to life. It is abrasive, abstract, and absolutely culturally poignant. Over odd, spacious, surreal beats, Armand Hammer, billy woods, and a variety of featured artists lay down obtuse lines on family, love, blackness, politics, and society. This fascinating album has become a favorite of mine.

Diamond Life by Sade
Who doesn’t love Sade? Classic, comforting tracks such as “Smooth Operator,” “Your Love is King,” and “I Will Be Your Friend” fill this album. This essential neo-soul record embraces you with its smooth sax, delicate keys, groovy percussion and bass, and of course the incredible silky vocals of Sade Adu. This record acts as a warm haven which is definitely needed this chilly month.

Just Another Diamond Day by Vashti Bunyan
“It is an album that I often fall asleep to. Vashti’s sweet tone along with the soft and pure production makes for gentle, warm and soothing music. Her fairytale-like lyrics fill me with childlike wonder. She instills an admiration within for nature and the little beautiful things of the world, which personally keeps my spirits up in the bleak times of November.” – Clara Wrolstad, ‘24