Summer movies

Summer movies

As an avid movie lover, I was excited about the promise of this summer’s blockbusters, but as a whole the films that ruled the big screen were a disappointment. One Day (Jim Sturgess, Anne Hathaway) was one of those movies. While the premise was promising and the first half wasn’t unbearable, the part when Hathaway’s character gets rolled over by a bus is where I realized that this film was worthy of walking out. Another film that didn’t live up to the hype was Transformers: Dark of the Moon. The film followed the standard Michael Bay route (insert explosions, attractive women, and guns, guns, guns here) but after three movies and a billion dropped on this one alone, shouldn’t they have at least added a little creativity? Now I don’t mean to sound like a Negative-Ned, there were a few movies I loved: Beats, Rhymes, & Life, the A Tribe Called Quest documentary, lived up to every ounce of hype I heard before it was released. Also, Harry Potter: Deathly Hallows Part 2 concluded the series in the best way possible, and I’m not a big Rom-Com guy, but Friends with Benefits was everything a feel good movie should be. While this summer wasn’t a complete bust, it fell flat in comparison to past years.