Curing Staycation Blahs

As a seasoned spring break “staycationer,” I find the excitement of spring break not as much fun as it should be.
Many people look forward to vacationing in warmer weather, in places like Hawai’i or Florida, or others set up camp in their
cars to prepare for a 4-hour road trip. But for people like me who tend to stay at home for spring break, finding enjoyable activities to keep yourself busy can be very challenging.

In the past, I’ve often spent my time watching TV or reading a book, but when I only fill my time with these activities, they get to be really boring. Juliana Lewandoski (‘26), notes that she too usually stays home for spring break, and sometimes has trouble finding fun ways to spend her time. When she feels the boredom starting to settle in she often “reads, or watches movies.” Saloni Siddavatam (‘26) also recalls her tendency to “watch a lot of shows” when she struggles to find other things to do. My parents
will often encourage me to connect with friends and try to hang out with them, but a lot of my friends are usually gone for most or all of spring break, leaving me with one less way to stay busy. Facing this boredom barrier seems to make having a fun spring break impossible, so what are some fun ways to stay entertained this spring break?

Similar to my spring break struggles, both Juliana and Saloni look for different and more interesting things to do when watching TV and reading become too monotonous. Juliana likes to stay socially and physically active during spring break by practicing soccer, spending time with family, and baking. Saloni also enjoys baking and trying out new recipes, and one of her newfound hobbies is building LEGO sets. One way that Saloni keeps busy and stays productive during spring break is by doing some “spring cleaning.”

Juliana and Saloni both mentioned how the worst part of staying home during spring break is seeing people on social media traveling to cool and interesting places across the country and even around the world. While going on a big vacation may not be feasible for you, finding something to do outside of your home can play a big part in curing ‘spring break blahs.’ A change in scenery or even doing a simple task outside of your house can often make a slow-moving day a little bit more interesting. In years past, I’ve found myself asking my parents if they need help grocery shopping or running errands just to have something to do. Many of these suggestions may sound boring at first, but getting moving and doing anything can often help to lift your mood, and mundane day-to-day activities can become more enjoyable when you don’t have a lot else to do. Juliana notes that she also tries to connect with friends to see if they’re around and plan “small excursions to skate or things like that.”

Whether you’re traveling the world or just staying at home, enjoying the little things during spring break is crucial in order to stay busy and have fun. But above all, the most important thing to do during spring break is to sit back, relax, and be thankful that you’re not in school.