Minnetonka High School's Student News

Minnetonka Breezes

Minnetonka High School's Student News

Minnetonka Breezes

Minnetonka High School's Student News

Minnetonka Breezes

The Sauna Renaissance
The Sauna Renaissance
March 22, 2024
Lets Talk Protein
Let's Talk Protein
March 22, 2024
Phenomenal Festivities
Phenomenal Festivities
March 22, 2024

‘Tis already the season? – Christmas music continually creeping closer

Tis already the season? - Christmas music continually creeping closer

It was only a matter of days between the radio’s last playing of “Monster Mash” and its first of “Jingle Bells.” It seems like every year the Christmas set list begins a little early, and for listeners that is not necessarily a bad thing. Junior Meg Samuelson says that she “likes it because it [leaves] me in a good mood.” The first week of November appears to have become the first week of the holiday season. Pumpkins are thrown away, and holiday lights are gradually hung around homes. It wouldn’t be surprising to wander into someone’s home over Thanksgiving break and get lost in an aura of ginger bread and hear the familiar “White Christmas” playing softly in the background.

In fact, most people say they start listening to Christmas music towards the middle of November, even before Thanksgiving. What causes this sudden shift in music taste so far ahead of the actual Christmas season? One local Hallmark employee explains, “As November rolls along, it’s hard not to get anxious for all the upcoming Christmas music. Some of the other employees and I might even start bringing our own Christmas soundtracks to play for customers.” Hallmark isn’t the only business starting early. It is said that starting immediately after Halloween, big department stores like Macy’s begin to integrate one holiday song for every five they play, to reintroduce people to the holiday buying spirit.

While many people cringe at this early introduction of holiday music, some are beginning to catch on and see that this kind of music is only trendy one time of year, so they might as well take every opportunity to listen to it. Even if that means starting in November.