Driving While Under the Influence… of texting

Your cell phone vibrates. You cradle it in one of your hands while the other holds the steering wheel. Your eyes switch between the road and the screen of your phone as you begin to type a new message. All of a sudden, you hear the dreaded noise of a police siren behind you…

Officers have been cracking down on drivers in the state of Minnesota for the past two years since the law banning the use of cell phones while driving was put into effect. Since then, over 980 citations have been issued statewide. The law states that a driver can be pulled over if he or she has been seen composing, reading, or sending an e-mail or text while driving, even if they are stopped in traffic or at a stoplight. If a police officer catches you in the act, the fine ranges anywhere from $130-$300.

The use of cell phones while driving has proven to be a huge danger to other drivers. Distracted driving contributes to about 25% of Minnesota’s car accidents every year. With about 280 deaths each year from car accidents, this means there are about 70 deaths each year in Minnesota caused by distracted driving. Is that text message or email really worth someone’s life? 

Some may not think that using a cell phone while driving would be a big distraction and danger to the road, but according to the  Department of Public Safety, texting while driving is equivalent to driving after having four beers. To many, driving while intoxicated seems much more dangerous than simply sending a message while  driving, but the fact of the matter is that both are equally hazardous.

Although citations for the use of cell phones while driving are not as common as other citations such as DWIs, seat belt violations and speeding tickets, cell phone citations are expected to increase in the next few years as police begin to crack down on Minnesota drivers even more.  Next time you are behind the wheel, think about how critical the message that you need to send is.