Phenomenal Festivities
Phenomenal Festivities

London’s Legacy

Now nearly October, August seems like it is light-years away.  Trying to remember what I did during that last month of summer is nearly as difficult as remembering all of those equations I need to know for my math test next week.  Thinking back, there is one thing that kept me in front of the TV for hours on end.  “The most-watched television event in US history,” according to NBC, was London 2012.  The Games of the XXX Olympiad.

The opening ceremony took place on July 27th and featured Great Britain’s contributions to the world while welcoming the athletes to the 2012 Summer Olympics.  Some unforgettable moments included Queen Elizabeth II and James Bond skydiving into the Olympic Stadium, the dance of the National Health Service, including an appearance by Lord Voldemort, and the forging of the Olympic rings.

Over the course of 60 days, athletes competed in 26 different sports which were held at 34 different venues across London.  While each of us paid attention to different sports and different athletes throughout the Games, it was hard to miss Michael Phelps becoming the most decorated Olympian of all time after winning his 22nd medal.  Other popular events included track and field, gymnastics, and, for the first time ever, women’s boxing.

In addition to this new Olympic sport, women made many significant strides in London.  Despite some initial controversy, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, and Brunei all allowed female athletes to compete for the first time ever.  Wojdan Shaherkani and Sarah Attar (pictured above) were both from Saudi Arabia, and although neither medalled, their presence at the Games inspired the entire world.  After this summer’s Games, every country currently eligible for Olympic competition has sent a female athlete to at least one Olympic Games.

Here are some more interesting facts about the London 2012 Olympics:

-The size of Olympic Park was equivalent to that of 357 football fields.  MHS has one full-size football field, with space for a maximum of four.

– 8.8 million tickets were available for the London 2012 Olympic Games. To make sense of this number, consider that Minnesota’s entire population is 5.34 million.

-A total workforce of around 200,000 people was involved in the Games.  The workforce of MHS is 348 people.

– Approximately 14 million meals were served at the Games, including 45,000 per day in the Olympic Village.  In comparison, our cafeteria serves 500-580 bagels each day.

Although these facts are mindboggling to consider, it is also important to remember the real reason why the Olympics is such a major international event.  We compete to carry on tradition.  We compete to demonstrate pride in our country.  We compete to fulfill our individual passions.

Most importantly, we compete to inspire.  We inspire the likes of Wojdan Shaherkani and Sarah Attar, who in turn inspire others to break down barriers for minorities and the underprivileged.

For me, the legacy of the London Olympic Games of 2012 will remain the achievements of women as we move toward greater gender equality in athletics across the world.  What will it be for you?