The Voice in Sport Club: Female Athletes United

Just over 50 years ago in 1972, women across the United States were liberated from athletic barriers and restrictions due to the passing of Title IX, which prohibited sex-based discrimination in sports. Since then, female participation in sports at the high school level has skyrocketed by 1057 percent nationally, according to the National Sports Center. 

Minnetonka High School is home to many talented female athletes, but there are not many opportunities where athletes can connect with people from different sports. However, the newly-founded Voice in Sport Club eliminates that barrier and provides a space for female athletes of various sports to support and listen to one another. “In our different respective sports, we’re kind of separated, but it’s important for us to unite as girls and as athletes,” Voice in Sport Club president, Elizabeth Weider, ‘24, affirmed. 

The Voice in Sport Club at Minnetonka is a branch of the larger Voice in Sport organization, which was founded by former Division 1 Soccer player, Stef Strack, in 2019. According to their website, the mission of the organization is to “bring more visibility to women and elevate their voice” and to “create a safe space for girls and women in sport.”

In the Voice in Sport club, female athletes can talk about their experiences, learn from and listen to other female athletes, and discuss important topics in the world of women’s sports. In addition to this, the club also intends to host guest speakers and incorporate volunteer opportunities pertaining to women’s sports.

“No one is more deserving of a voice than female athletes,” club Advisor Makenzie Bachmann stated. In the past, there were not many outlets where female athletes could convey their thoughts and experiences to others, but ever since the frequent rise in popularity of female athletics, many new communities have been formed that are in support of female athletes, such as the Female Athlete Society, the Women’s Sports Foundation, and of course, the Voice in Sport organization. “The fact that we’re now doing that for women is very validating and very telling of how great female sports has become,” Bachmann asserted.

If you would like to connect with a fun community of female athletes at MHS, the Voice in Sport Club meets on the first Tuesday of every month at 7:15 a.m. in room 2400. To learn more about the club, check out the club’s instagram page, @voiceinsport_tonka.