May 2024 Backpage
May 2024 Backpage
May 31, 2024
That's a Wrap
May 31, 2024
To the Top!
May 31, 2024

Lively Local Art Show

Image from Minnesota Landscape Arboretum

The Midwest is home to many diverse styles of art, especially visual art representative of the regions inspiring landscapes and history. Adam Turman has captured many of these famous themes and figures, especially in Minnesota pop culture with his bold graphic style. Much of this style is drawn from his experience as an in house graphic designer for the University of Minnesota. After college, Turman started his own art studio in 2003, where he makes the majority of his prints. Some of his most popular works include playful portrayals of the Pillsbury Doughboy, Paul Bunyan, the Stone Arch Bridge, and the Jolly Green Giant. These works can be seen all across the Midwest, from murals to screen prints, at major bands, and at small boutiques. People connect with Turman’s art because it displays a shared appreciation for popular culture in the midwest.

Starting in May, Adam Turman will have an exhibition at the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum displaying his most recent works. Truman conveys that he is excited to be able to work in his own style with themes of nature. While the pieces fittingly exhibit bright colors that touch on the promise of spring, they are in some ways a slight contrast to his usual works. Most of his pieces have a large focal point that is a blatantly obvious reference to pop culture. In this collection, the viewer must look closer to notice the references the paintings make. In the piece titled Mr. Owl there is a great horned owl perched on a branch in the moonlight, but the viewer must look closer to see the Tootsie Pop the owl is grasping. This is a reference to the old Tootsie Pop owl commercials of the 60s and 70s, as Truman explains, “I’m doing a little bit of a twist of what art and nature means to me with my nostalgia and the things I grew up with.”

Tickets to exclusive events are available on the Arboretum’s website where attendees have the opportunity to meet Adam Turman and hear more about how he captured inspiration from the Arboretum’s landscape and wildlife. The showing is from May 19-July 14.

Check out more of Adam Turman’s work at the University of Minnesota’s Reedy Gallery online.