Phenomenal Festivities
Phenomenal Festivities

“For Us”: Skipperettes On Top

Minnetonka High School is home to many talented dancers that make up the Skipperettes Dance Team. Boasting five accomplished teams, expressive artistry, and competitive spirit, the Minnetonka Dance Team has well established their talent on the dance floor.

The Skipperettes practice six days a week from October to the end of January and compete up to twice a week. They train and compete as a group in two unique styles of dance: kick and jazz. “We really enjoy coming to practice,” Lydia Anderson, ‘24, added. “Before practice, we all talk and catch up with each other, which has helped our team be more cohesive.” Despite having large, distinct teams within the Minnetonka Dance Team, the Skipperettes are very connected to each other. The Skipperettes do many team bonding activities in and out of practice, such as pasta parties and team bowling, which create a fun team environment.
“You get to know everybody so well because we spend a lot of time together,” Meredith King, ‘24, explained.

“I think the dance team provides a really great opportunity to support people on every team,” Anderson comments. No matter if you compete in kick or jazz, or are on B team, JV, or Varsity, there is a universal mutual respect for other dancers which is awesome to see. “There’s definitely a really deep bond between everyone on the team, which makes it fun,” King stated.

In addition to this, the Skipperettes have strong relationships with their coaches as well. Anderson said she admires the coaches’ “dedication and their willingness to put in extra time” to help their dancers. She also asserted that the coaches’ leader-
ship at practices and competitions has made the team more organized and has contributed to their success as a team.

The Skipperettes are up against tough competition in the Lake Conference, but have put on amazing performances and consistently performed well at conference meets this past season. At the section meet this year, the Skipperettes placed fifth in
Varsity kick and jazz, third in JV kick and jazz, and fourth in B-squad jazz. The two seniors asserted that joining the Minnetonka Dance Team has left a very positive impact on them and that they will miss the team’s fun pasta parties, kind teammates, and wonderful coaches. The inclusive atmosphere the dance team provides has helped them along with many other girls find success in their sport and in life, which is a very valuable accomplishment to have.