Artist of the month: Roy Link

Portrait of Roy Link while out on a photo shoot in Kona, Hawaii

Anna Barnard, Staff Writer

Roy Link is a senior here at Minnetonka. He is well known for his gift in photography and videography. Link takes stunning and lively photos. He shoots weddings, concerts, portraits and so much more.

Along with photographs, Link also creates videos that allow him to expand and show more of his talents. He has even created multiple short films working along with other Minnetonka students.

He frequently attends local concerts to create videos to showcase the concert. Link has made these kinds of videos for a quite a few artists including Post Malone, Wifisfuneral, Lil Uzi Vert, and many more.

Link shares his work through different mediums of social media, such as Instagram and Twitter. Social media has given him a platform to share his art, inspiration for his work, and opportunities to use his talents. I had the opportunity to ask Roy Link some questions about his creative process and his work.

What are the main types of art that you create and how did you get interested in them?

“The main types of art I create are photography and videography. I got interested in them after I bought myself a GoPro two years ago.”

How do videography and photography differ for you and your creative process?

“These days it seems that anyone with an iPhone is a photographer. So, although I love photography, I use video to really separate myself and express my creativity.”

How and why do you choose what content to include in your work?

“When I first started taking photos and videos, I would include content from my everyday life, such as going on the lake with my friends, or going on a family road trip. Then eventually, people started asking me to film school events, and things happening around the community. That type of content is what consumed most of my time for about a year, until I started getting into shooting live music.”

“I started shooting pictures and making recap videos of concerts last spring. Ever since then, I’ve fallen in love with it. There’s something about the atmosphere and energy of concerts that will never get old for me. Every artist and crowd is different, and they all have a unique story to tell. Seeing hundreds and thousands of people coming to shows to see their favorite artists makes me happy, and being able to capture those moments with my camera makes me even happier.”

What have been some difficulties for you when making videos or taking photos?

“One thing I’ve found to be difficult is wanting every video or photo shoot that I do to be different. I never want to feel like I’m lacking variety in my work. That’s something I’m constantly working on.”

What are  your future plans in videography and photography?

“I really couldn’t tell you where I’ll be a year from now, but I’ve learned to embrace the uncertain future that’s ahead of me. I do know that I will continue to pursue my passion for photo and video and see where that takes me!”

Roy’s work can be found on his Instagram: @roylink

or on his website: royallenlink.com