Devious Licks: TikTok Vandalism Trend Gets Out of Hand at Minnetonka

Annabelle Fung, Staff Writer

As many are aware of, the ‘Devious Licks’ TikTok trend is disrupting schools across the nation, including Minnetonka High School. Most of the thefts occur in bathrooms, forcing staff members to lock them. School supplies are also being stolen by students participating in this trend. 

The ‘Devious Licks’ trend started when a user posted a video on TikTok claiming to have stolen a box of disposable masks from their school. As the trend evolved, copycats posted videos of themselves stealing items such as soap dispensers, toilets and sinks, labeling the stolen items as ‘Devious Licks.’  According to the Urban Dictionary, a “lick” is a “successful type of theft.” 

As of September 15, TikTok has banned the trend.

A spokesperson for TikTok said that the app is “removing content and redirecting hashtags & search results to [their] Community Guidelines to discourage such behavior.” 

While those who attempt to search up the trend will get a message about the community guidelines of the social media site, this trend has still significantly impacted the MHS community.

Lauren Lamb, ‘24, said she saw “multiple TikToks about other schools doing the Devious Licks challenge, and…eventually heard rumors about people at our school participating.”

Students at MHS have been negatively impacted by the theft and destruction of school property. 

As Principal Erickson stated in the announcements, students vandalizing the school bathrooms are “wasting people’s time…causing bathrooms to have to be re-routed, [and] custodians having to put on different equipment.” 

Erickson ended his statement on the announcements by saying that we have “a community built on relationships, trust, and our core values,”  and that students participating in this trend “do not meet our expectation of how we should work together.” 

Social media plays a prominent role in the world today and influences the actions and beliefs of many people, especially teenagers. This influence increases the tendency for people to conform with the behaviors that are normalized online, such as following popular trends. People usually conform to social media trends in an effort to fit in or because they want attention and popularity. Trends are easy to enjoy when they are harmless and everyone else is participating in them; however, it is important to keep in mind the people being affected by participation in those trends.

As Assistant Principal Smasal said, “Tonka, we take pride in our school and we are so lucky to have such a beautiful space to learn in. Let’s respect it. Please help keep it that way.”