Wisdom from Williams: A closer look at the gym requirement

For part of the student body, gym class isn’t something to look forward to. While it seems like just another requirement to check off the to-do list for graduation, physical education actually plays a fundamental role in our lives.  To get another perspective, one of our staff writers, Vivian, went to investigate the reasons behind the gym requirement

A day as usual, a gym as usual: “Gym is annoying!” Comes a squeak from behind a set of lockers. Today, instead of playing tennis, I have something important to do. I am going to have a nice little interview with one of our school’s most experienced gym teachers, Mr. Williams.

V: Hi Mr. Williams, are you ready?

W: Yes I am ready!

V: Okay. Mr. Williams, are there any requirements for Gym in our school? (yeah definitely)

W: Yes there are. Students must complete two semesters of Gym: Lifetime fitness and Lifelong activities.

V: Oh yeah I see. (That’s why I see mostly young innocent freshmen faces in our Gym huh)

V: Then why do you think Gym is a required course, Mr. Williams?

W: Because we really need to put an emphasis on Physical Education, which will affect the rest of the our students’ lives.

V: Oh yeah. This lifelong influence can affect us even more directly than academic education. Overall, what do you think the Physical Education program in our school is trying to promote? (That’s a big question)

W: Fitness. Definitely to promote fitness. We try to make our students not only do fitness activities, but actually reach a fitness goal—improve muscle strength, flexibility, and ultimately promote our students’ interest in physical exercise.

V: Oh that’s right. Interest is the King of everything. Thank you very much, Mr. Williams. Have fun giving us lifelong influence!

W: Haha. You’re—wait, Vivian! I forgot to tell you one more thing: experiments have shown that students who participate in physical exercise do better academically too. Strong proof!

V: Oh yeah—I gotta jot that down. Bye Mr. Williams!