“Mama always said, don’t eat chips on the couch!”

Mama always said, dont eat chips on the couch!

Chances are as a student at Minnetonka high school you haven’t had many run-ins with the police, aside from the occasional speeding ticket or traffic violation from drifting or drag racing, of course. It’s strange though, how fast a seemingly average afternoon can turn into a visit from Minnetonka’s police force.

It was just another day for Rachel Zeman when this exact thing happened. Rachel’s cousin had been staying with her family for a bit and when he left earlier in the day, he forgot to close the front door. But Rachel, worn out from SAT testing, was unaware of this. She had just come home and was sitting down to have lunch on the couch and watch some TV. All was peaceful, or so she thought. She heard a noise, but the protests from her stomach were louder, so she didn’t give it a second thought—until she heard somebody yell, “Are you the home owner?” Not knowing what to say she answered, “No, I’m just a kid.” That’s when three uniformed policeman entered the room with their guns drawn.

Stunned by the sight, she sat frozen on the couch as one of the police officers asked her again if she was the homeowner. Rachel answered that she wasn’t, but that her parents were. This answer turned out to be insufficient however, as the police officer started asking her all sorts of questions—who are you? What are you doing here? How old are you?—Rachel did her best to answer, despite the shock of being interrupted in such a bizarre way while munching on potato chips in her own home.

The police officer explained to her that the neighborhood mailman had called the police because earlier that day, he had seen two men looking into the windows of her house—which is just plain creepy. When the police drove by and noticed that the front door was open they were immediately worried that there might be a burglary in progress, and in turn that Rachel was one of these robbers. As she tried to get up, the police told her to stay seated, and one of them sat with her while they searched the house for potential threats. After making sure the coast was clear they gave her their number and told her to have her parents call them as soon as possible. Later, when Rachel gave the number to her mother, the police officer informed her that they had found Rachel eating on the couch, something that she wasn’t allowed to do. This turned out to be more of an issue than the potential break-in.

In the end, Rachel ended up getting in trouble for enjoying what she had hoped to be a relaxing lunch on the couch, cementing in her mind that no matter how sneaky she is with her potato chips, her parents will always find a way to learn the truth.