Tips for Incoming Freshman

Freshman year can be one of the most intimidating years of a students academic career, but have no fear Tonka is here to assist all incoming ninth graders on having a smooth transition with these tips:

“Bring Snacks. I know it sounds silly, but…you’ll be very hungry early or later in the day.” – Christy Watras, 26’

Lunch in High School may look different this year with longer lines, therefore less time to enjoy a meal. Which highlights the importance of staying fulfilled food and drink wise throughout the school day. Remaining hydrated and fed not only helps with better concentration but also one’s mood, and mood is a crucial part of having a successful school day. 

“Get involved. If a club sounds interesting, check it out. Only if you can make a couple meetings, you’ll come out of it feeling better and maybe with a few new friends.” – Christy Watras, 26’

Whether it be a sport or club, being involved outside of school is one of the marvels of a high school experience. Tonka offers a variety of options to meet the diverse amount of differences between the student body. Joining activities can help one find a safe space and community between students that all share common interests. 

High School can feel very overwhelming and stressful at times, consequently, allowing oneself to freetime is also a major part of the school year. Having the time to rest or be with friends and family well not worrying about school will actually help you to perform better in class. The key is finding a healthy balance that suits each individual and their mental well being.

I think that in your freshman year you should give yourself a little bit of free time, because normally your life is more busy in high school and you should make sure you know how to manage time well, while giving yourself a little leeway. Don’t overthink it though, If you want to join a club, you shouldn’t let free time hold you back.” – Christy Watras, 26’