Spiking to Success: Minnetonka Girls Volleyball Takes Lake Conference

Danielle Lohrenz, Staff Writer

The blaring echo of noise in the Minnetonka gyms cannot distract the high school’s  Varsity volleyball team from their goal: winning. As they push for every single point, they come out victorious once again and maintain an 18-4 winning record. Despite many injures, grueling practices, and many other obstacles, the Skippers fly high above the net and continue to play the game that they love.

Macy Osenga, ‘22, who is the team’s Defensive Specialist, states that “volleyball is the perfect balance of being [on] a team and being competitive” and she “know[s] anyone on the team would do anything for anyone.”

Teams also must have strong leaders. Dresi Pass,‘19, and Erin Shoemaker,‘19, who are Setters and Outside Hitters, respectively, are the co-captains of the Varsity volleyball team. Pass has over 625 set assists and leads the team with serving aces. Shoemaker is 3rd in the state for kills (kills are movements, such as spikes, which the opposing team cannot return, and thus results in a point or turn of rally) with a stunning 257.

While the captains remain some of the best players on the court, another player to look out for is Skyler Germann, ‘20, with 203 kills, 208 digs, and 31 aces.

“When I see Skyler play I am astounded every time; I’m glad I can call her my teammate, She is so strong, mentally and physically pushes through every [part] of the game,” Osenga said.

There are definitely amazing players on the team, but what makes them all stand out is there sheer determination and teamwork.

According to Coach Lindy, “The season is going really well not just from a win-loss perspective but also from the team dynamic, but the season is still going well from a win-loss point of view.”

On October 9th, Minnetonka Girls Volleyball beat Eden Prairie to claim the title of 2018 Lake Conference Champions. They have high hopes for the playoff season.