Student Spotlight: Jake Hammond

Student Spotlight: Jake Hammond

What’s your role in Dracula?
I play Arthur in Dracula. 

What inspired you to be involved in acting?
Ever since I was little, I’ve been obsessed with movies. I always wanted  to one day become a film director. It wasn’t until I started high school that I became really interested in acting. So I auditioned for “South Pacific” my freshman year and continued with theater ever since.

What other plays have you been in? Which one was your favorite?
 I’ve been in South Pacific, All Shook Up, Scarlet Pimpernel, Jesus Christ Superstar, How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying, Our Town, and Phantom of the Opera. All Shook Up was my favorite because of all the dancing and Elvis music. We had some really good times…

When did you start acting?
Freshman year

If you could do a broadway play, what would it be?Why?
I have never wanted to be on Broadway but my favorite Broadway show is “Sister Act”. I love crazy gospel nuns…

Do you have any family members that also act?
My brother, Jack Hammond, (freshman at MHS) LOVES to act.  He participates in many extra curricular plays at Mt. Calvary Church and is involved in some acting classes. He REALLY lives it.  I think he secretly wants to be on Broadway.

What are your plans after high school?
I’ve applied to several schools including University of North Carolina School of Arts, New York University, and Florida State.  I plan to pursue a major in filmmaking. Maybe I will stay involved in acting but filmmaking has always been the dream!

I understand that you enjoy producing short movies. Can you tell me about any short movies you may have produced?
Yes, I have made a few films ranging from 5 to 90 minutes. My most recent was a drama called “Teenonymous”.  It was about a 17 year-old who records a movie of his final senior year at high school. What starts out as a fun project quickly turns for the worse when he loses his responsibilities and grip on reality.  It starred Ryan McCartan (class of 2011), Kelsey Peterjohn (class of 2011), Madeleine Fernald (class of 2011), and Will Hoverman (class of 2014).

How do you rehearse for a play?
Play rehearsals run for a total of about 2 months. We meet every day after school for about 2 hours to work on lines, block screens, learn solos, and prepare for opening night! It’s a lot of work but everyone has an incredible time, regardless of their role in the show. Theater has been such a huge part of my high school life and I will never forget the friends and the memories I’ve made.

What other groups are you involved in at MHS?
Currently, I’m involved in Chamber Choir at MHS. We meet every Monday and Thursday.