Haiti Outreach Club: What They Do, Why New Students Should Join

Isabella Bennett, Student Life Editor

Are you interested in joining a community service club that also helps people around the world? If so, Haiti Outreach might be the club to join.

The main purpose of Haiti Outreach Club, according to adviser Michelle Seets, “is to work on knowledge around what is happening in Haiti with the crisis there and why the Haitians need help.”

When talking to club founder Graham Caron, ‘18, he said the main goals for the club this year “are to bring the Water Walk to the elementary schools and raise money for one well, but other than that, [the club] is still working out what projects we plan to do. We may try to do a pen pal program with a Haitian school.”

The Water Walk takes place every spring at Minnetonka Middle School East and serves two main purposes: increasing awareness around those who need to walk to get clean water and fundraising to build wells and clean water infrastructure. The high school club helps out with set-up and clean-up as well as fundraising at a booth during the event, and the rest is planned by the club at the middle school.

Because it is towards the start of the school year, the club is still working on what projects they may or may not do. At initial meetings, the club selects projects they want to do, and later meetings are used to plan out the finer details and make an action plan. The club consists of around thirty to fourty members, with a strong leadership team of three to four leaders. Haiti Outreach meets every other Friday, and there are usually donuts.

If you are interested in joining Haiti Outreach, the next meeting is October 6th at 7:15 am in Room 1306. You can also reach out to advisor Michelle Seets with any questions.