This week’s writing events!

This weeks writing events!

Charlotte K, Copy Editor

Hey, all! Doing anything Thursday evening? Just attending conferences with your parents? Okay, great. After that, come to Writer’s Studio.

This will be the third ever Writer’s Studio event, sponsored by Minnetonka’s Writing Center. It’s an opportunity for students to read pieces of their own writing aloud or to share favourite pieces of literature, or to simply come and listen to some great pieces being read. You can read anything from a haiku you wrote in middle school to a passage from Dickens’ Great Expectations. It can be something from your English class, something from your own reading, or some slam poetry you found on YouTube. This is an opportunity to share the words you love aloud––and there’s something unique about that. Remember when our elementary school teachers read to us? Or how you’ve come to understand passages differently because of how your English teacher reads them aloud? That’s what this is about. And sitting and listening to your peers share words that are dear to their hearts is so uplifting and inspiring that you might catch the writing bug, too.

If your love of literature and words isn’t enough to make you come a’running, there will be donuts. And brownies. Plus, it’s a great way to get some hands-on experience with spoken word poetry before Off The Page, another Writing Center sponsored event, where Guante––a two-time National Poetry Slam champion––will be speaking. (You should totally come to this, too.)

So grab some writing and/or your listening ears and come on down to the Black Box this Thursday. The event is from 8-10 pm. Hope to see you there! Screen Shot 2015-02-24 at 8.40.19 PMScreen Shot 2015-02-24 at 8.40.12 PMScreen Shot 2015-02-24 at 8.40.29 PM

Photos by Anna Weber