To Shave or Not to Shave: How Facial Hair Unites Us as One

Joey Cutts, Staff Writer

Just as the layer of pumpkin spice worn during October fades away, a layer of of patchy facial hair (and otherwise) surfaces during November.
No-Shave November, Movember, and other similar causes work to raise money and awareness for organizations like the American Cancer Society. Originating as an effort to help men’s health, the movement has expanded to include women as well. But how, you might ask, does a principal growing a Mane of Glory help raise money and awareness for cancer?
The idea is relatively straightforward. Instead of buying shaving or grooming products, participants commit to putting down those razors and using the money saved to support the cause. By growing hair, participants hope to grow awareness around the subject, start conversations, get involved, educate and fight for those around them. Since its creation, No Shave November has raised hundreds of millions of dollars through its various fundraising efforts.
At Minnetonka High School, you will see posters and announcements regarding this subject. Mr. Erickson’s facial hair may cause confusion and panic, but I urge you to stay calm, it’s all part of a plan. And that kid who sits next to you in science class has probably not just given up on hygiene (yet), but instead is trying to impress his friends with his facial maturity, all while raising awareness.
As part of the class of 2018’s Legacy Project, there is a school-wide contest to raise money for the cause. Staff members that raise a certain amount of dollars per week will forego shaving, or sponsor someone who will. The class that raises the most money at the end of each week receives doughnuts, and perhaps a healthy dose of anxiety as the teachers they once recognized turn into strangers.
However, this movement can be a hairy and controversial subject for some students at Minnetonka. Some students argue that many of the people growing out their facial hair have no real interest or impact on the underlying cause. Instead, they conjecture that it is a narcissistic way to raise awareness, superficially flaunting a patchy sense of social consciousness on their faces. Is it superficial to participate in No Shave November without actively contributing to the cause?
Asking a few students, they unanimously decided that people participating in No Shave November without any sense of the reason are “superficially motivated”.
One student, Will Graupmann, 17’, said “there is a difference between students that grow out their beards because they want to, and students that actively contribute”.
On the other hand, another student, Marta Torelli, 17’, expressed that she wanted me to “shave my face immediately”.
However, Marta acknowledged that even though she doesn’t like the look, “it makes students talk about it”, which is a goal of the organization. Considering that over 1.5 million people in the U.S. are diagnosed with cancer each year, efforts to raise awareness can lead to early detection or action.
What about the brave citizens that are actually making this sacrifice? One admirably scruffy writing coach, Connor Erb’ 17, says that his face feels “super itchy and gross”, but is going to continue his commitment.
In addition to losing his razor, Connor reported that in order to prevent superficial participants, “more people need to realize what the campaign is actually about, and then do something to help”.
Let’s say that you are a student who has found him/herself in a pickle. You’ve put down the razor, but don’t know how to contribute to the cause. With Connor’s advice in mind, you want to change that. The easiest thing to do besides donating money, or raising the awareness of those around you, is to educate yourself.
According to preventcancer.org, lifestyle choices we make (exercise, diet, substance use) have a direct impact on our cancer risk. Additionally, early detection and early treatment via doctor’s visits and self checkups can help prevent more serious consequences. All of that starts with you, and perhaps your beard.