How To Survive The Ides Of March: Marking The Days To Spring Break

Sara Pender, Staff Writer

As most students know, March is one of the heaviest months in the academic calendar. With graduation and warm summer months on the horizon, maintaining motivation and keeping that last shred of sanity in the final stretch of the school year becomes tougher. Tests get harder. Activities are ramping up, stress rises and students become easily overwhelmed. Staying positive and finding outlets can become increasingly difficult when energy tapers off and spring break approaches. Although it feels impossible, exams will pass and summer will be here before students know it – as long as students can get through March. Several students shared their best tips and tricks for surviving the month and taking care of their mental health. Staying on top of schoolwork and responsibilities is always a priority, but it is just as, if not more, important for students to take care of themselves too. 

Alexis Hoy, ‘22, said that she tries to “prioritize by long-term importance.” 

“If I’m doing a project that will determine whether or not I get my IB diploma and simultaneously working on a worksheet for an elective, I will do the big project first,” she said. Hoy also mentioned that she “compartmentalizes [her] work…because psychologically speaking, humans are incapable of multitasking.”

Elliot Lee-O’Halloran, ‘24, mentioned that one of the best ways for him to unwind and “relieve the stress that many experience during this time of year is to watch a movie…It doesn’t have to be an entire movie because that takes up a lot of time, but I think it’s good to escape inside of a story for even just half an hour to help distract yourself from whatever troubles there are with school.”

Taking time to prioritize oneself for even a half-hour can be incredibly beneficial. Lauren Salmi, ‘22, went back to the basics with her tips. 

“Scheduling your time so that you have free time to hang out with friends or to do a hobby is very important because if you get burnt out then none of your academic work will go well,” she said. 

Additionally, in terms of academics, Salmi recommended “rather than spending two distracted hours studying, do everything possible to make it one very focused hour.” 

Like Salmi said, ensuring a distraction-free environment can be crucial when it comes to getting work done.

The Odyssey, an online forum for people to share their opinions and voices, published an article written by Emily Bowen, a student at Bates College, who shared a couple of tips for getting through the school year stress-free. A couple tips were discussed earlier by Hoy, Lee-O’Halloran and Salmi, including staying organized and taking time to unwind. 

Exercise, consistency and avoiding procrastination are some of the helpful tips Bowen mentioned that require more conscientiousness but will ultimately give students more control over their schedules. 

“I know we all don’t love to exercise, but whenever I do, I can clear my head, listen to music and focus on my body. It’s therapeutic and healthy… I believe that regular exercise of some sort can keep us sane, especially when stressed,” Bowen said.

Hopefully, the tips and tricks in this article will help everyone stay successful and afloat throughout March.