Popular Minnesotan Traditions to Enjoy This Fall With Your Family

Gabbie Lopez, Staff Writer

The beginning of fall is marked by changing leaves, dropping temperatures, and the return of the Pumpkin Spice Latte. Some people live for fall and everything that come with it, while others dread the cold months that follow. Many families like to go outside and enjoy the last bits of the warm weather while it’s still here. Some go outside to pick pumpkins for carving Jack-O-Lanterns or apples for eating. Others might sit and watch scary movies with their apple cider in preparation for Halloween.

Michelle Martin works at the Minnetonka Orchards located in Minnetrista, Minnesota. “Every weekend gets really crazy. We have thousands of families coming in from all over” and in fact they do see many of those families multiple times a year. One family that stood out to Martin most was a couple who got married there 12 years ago. She added that “They still come back every year with their daughter and it’s fun to see them!” The orchard is quite popular, with many positive reviews on Yelp and even a 4.6 star rating on Google.

The thing that most excites Martin about the fall is her job and “working with [her] lovely farm family.” This was clearly seen in her relationship with her coworkers when we visited the orchard. When asked if she had any fall traditions with her family, she said “Well we come to the orchards! The apples here, just do not compare to those in the grocery store”

Mya Thill (‘21) a student  at Minnetonka High School also goes to the orchards multiple times a year. She and her family “have gone for quite a few years” and she enjoys going for “the food and the hayrides.”

Mya also has a few other favorite traditions, including rewatching all of the old Disney movies, her favorite being Halloweentown and Twitches. She also enjoys going to Valleyscare with her closest friends, which she has been doing since she was in middle school. Halloween is one of her favorite holidays, and she loves celebrating it. When asked about her favorite candy she said she likes “literally everything. Except Snickers.” Her favorite costume was from when she was three, “I was a ladybug, which was pretty adorable.”

So whether you’re one of those people who likes fall or one of those people who hates it, there’s always something out there for you do. Grab a Pumpkin Spice Latte and a movie, or get a group of friends out for a photo shoot! Regardless of what you find, make sure you’re at least having fun.