Mexican Drug Wars

White sandy beaches, the warm ocean breeze blowing in your face, the waves splashing at your ankles and the warm Mexican sun beaming down on you. Ah, so peaceful. The perfect paradise to relax and enjoy yourself. However, the sunny paradise painting of vacationing in Mexico is being clouded by the constant chatter revolving the Mexican Drug Wars.

For the past six years, the drug wars in Mexico have been in the media. There have been countless deaths and horrible happenings surrounding this event. The corruption of the Mexican government and the drug cartels has been publicized. The news coverage has helped keep us Americans informed about the illegal movements of drugs being smuggled into the United States.

Many people have also commented and begun to believe that the danger associated with the border is moving to the vacationing zones making it dangerous to travel to Mexico. However, according to locals this is not the case.

A worker of the Royal Resorts in Cancun, Alfredo Tzec, explained that the drug wars take place in the border town Juarez and also in Acapulco. He made it clear that no drug cartels or anything related to the wars was near places such as Cancun or Playa del Carmen.

He went on to explain that the government would not let anything happen to the cities that have a lot of tourists or resorts because this was one of the main ways the government makes their money. “If something were to happen to the resort area, no one would come and then we wouldn’t have money.”

Of course there is no way to tell when the drug wars will end or where they will spread. However, you can be sure the Mexican government will do anything they can to keep the tourist area safe.