Minnetonka High School's Student News

Minnetonka Breezes

Minnetonka High School's Student News

Minnetonka Breezes

Minnetonka High School's Student News

Minnetonka Breezes

The Sauna Renaissance
The Sauna Renaissance
March 22, 2024
Lets Talk Protein
Let's Talk Protein
March 22, 2024
Phenomenal Festivities
Phenomenal Festivities
March 22, 2024

The End of the World is Coming! Or is it?

The Mayan Calendar suggests that on December 21, 2012, the world will end. Some readily believe this idea while others are still skeptical.

The Mayan Calendar began roughly 5,126 years ago and ended on December 21. Some researchers converted the Mayan Calendar years to modern years and found that the end year was 2012. Therefore this prediction indicating the world will end, in approximately nine months from today, surfaced.

Although the initial reaction is to panic and begin doing all the wild dreams you have imagined doing before you die, if you look closer at the research it may change your mind about quitting your job or dropping out of school.

According to a native Mexican, Alfredo Tzec, who knows Mayan descendants, the latest prediction is false. He explained that the Mayans ended the calendar on this date because they believed after this day the calendar would repeat itself. You see, the calendar was not only used to count the days but it was also used as a way to measure the moon phases and record the weather for that day. They began to see patterns in the moon and also in the stars and therefore believed the calendar would start over. Therefore, they stopped recording the calendar.

Others such as Gerardo Aldana, a professor from the University of California in Santa Barbara, discussed that the scholars and researchers who converted the calendar miscalculated. Based on findings of when the Mayans recorded important events, it was revealed that the calculations the researchers had done were misguided and “off” based on other calendars. They looked at other calendars that expressed certain events and timelines that the newly calculated Mayan Calendar didn’t match.

You may believe that the calendar is correct and the world is going to end, or you may simply think the person making the calendar died and no one else knew how to do it so they stopped. Either way, it can be seen there are many theories as to what will happen on December 21. Theories that cannot be proven correct or miscalculated until that day arrives, this year.